May is approaching fast. Here is a home maintenance checklist to prepare your home for the warm summer months.
1. Lubricate Your HVAC Fan
- Locate your owner’s manual for your HVAC system and use the suggested oil to lubricate your blower motor fan. If you don’t have your owner’s manual, you can locate the model number and brand of your HVAC system then search for the proper lubricant for your model.
2. Replace HVAC Filters
- Before starting up your HVAC system for the summer, replace the filter on your air conditioner. You should then continue to replace your filters every one to three months when the unit is in use.
3. Clean Swamp Cooler
- If you have a swamp cooler, also known as an evaporative cooler, clean the unit and replace the water pads. Lubricate the motor before the getting the cooler started up again.
- These coolers work by cooling the air through the evaporation of water. Pretty interesting!
4. Install Weather Stripping
- In order to keep that hot summer air out of your home and the nice cool air inside, make sure to weather strip all of your doors and windows that could cause a draft.
- Fun Fact: Doing this will help keep your electric bills lower.
5. Check Exhaust Vents are Clear
- Check all exhaust vents bringing air to the outside of your house. These should be free of dirt, plants, trees, and other debris. If they aren’t clear, they will have a hard time functioning properly.
This information was brought to you by Landmark Home Warranty.